Ferrous and Nonferrous Metals
Often, scrap metal buyers or scrap yards will say they purchase and recycle both ferrous and nonferrous metals. What does that mean?
Ferrous metal is a metal containing iron. Ferrous metal can be sorted with magnets, and is easier to recycle. Mann Metals accepts many types of ferrous metals for recycling. Here are a few:
- Steel: a mixture of iron and carbon, often with other trace metals
- Stainless Steel: includes more chromium for rust resistance and shiny appearance
- Carbide: an extremely hard steel that includes tungsten
- High Speed Steel: a heat treated steel with carbon, manganese, molybdenum, and tungsten
- Cast Plate Iron: Has a lower percentage of carbon, and is easier to pour and cast.
Nonferrous metal contains no iron, or only trace amounts of iron. Mann Metals accepts a wide variety of nonferrous metals, including but not limited to:
- Aluminum: everything from window frames, auto wheels, and cans, to cast barbeque grills
- Copper: insulated and uninsulated wire, auto radiators, plumbing scrap, and decorative items
- Brass: an alloy of copper and zinc, varying the ratio produces different colors/attributes
- Nickel Alloys: such as Hastelloy X, with nickel, chromium, molybdenum, and traces of iron
Mann Metals also accepts some mixed-metal items, such as e-waste, catalytic converters, auto radiators, and others. Contact us and we’ll be happy to tell you what we accept, and how much we pay.
3 Reasons Why Smart Businesses Recycle
Many business owners think recycling metal is good for huge factories, and it is. But it can also be good for many small and medium sized businesses as well. Wondering if the benefits would outweigh any inconvenience? Our experience says it will! Here is a sample of benefits to recycling your scrap metals.
- Green is good. Americans are more aware than ever of their “carbon footprint” or the environmental impact of what they buy. The more ways you can identify your service or products as environmentally friendly, the better. Advertising that you recycle your scrap metal is another way to go green.
- Waste is expensive. While customers may not think about where your waste goes, as a business owner, you do. Waste services are expensive, and the fewer times you fill your dumpster, and the smaller it is, the less you spend to haul away trash. These days, cutting overhead is a national sport. You win when you recycle your scrap metal!
- Scrap pays. Tossing scrap metal in the dumpster is like throwing away a five. Doesn’t sound like much if it’s just once a year, but you may be tossing five every week. Makes you wince to think about throwing money in the landfill, doesn’t it? For small amounts of scrap metal, a bin brought to Mann Metals every month or week isn’t much inconvenience, and the dollars recovered for that “trash” add up. For large amounts of scrap metals, contact us about providing containers and pick-up.
Welcome Brian to Mann Metals
Maybe your holiday lights failed or you upgraded to a more environmentally-friendly LED type. In either case, don’t throw the old ones away. Recycle them at Mann Metals. The insulated wire that attaches the lights together have copper inside them and have a value if you bring it in to our facility.