scrap metal buyers
Often, scrap metal buyers or scrap yards will say they purchase and recycle both ferrous and nonferrous metals. What does that mean?
Ferrous metal is a metal containing iron. Ferrous metal can be sorted with magnets, and is easier to recycle. Mann Metals accepts many types of ferrous metals for recycling. Here are a few:
- Steel: a mixture of iron and carbon, often with other trace metals
- Stainless Steel: includes more chromium for rust resistance and shiny appearance
- Carbide: an extremely hard steel that includes tungsten
- High Speed Steel: a heat treated steel with carbon, manganese, molybdenum, and tungsten
- Cast Plate Iron: Has a lower percentage of carbon, and is easier to pour and cast.
Nonferrous metal contains no iron, or only trace amounts of iron. Mann Metals accepts a wide variety of nonferrous metals, including but not limited to:
- Aluminum: everything from window frames, auto wheels, and cans, to cast barbeque grills
- Copper: insulated and uninsulated wire, auto radiators, plumbing scrap, and decorative items
- Brass: an alloy of copper and zinc, varying the ratio produces different colors/attributes
- Nickel Alloys: such as Hastelloy X, with nickel, chromium, molybdenum, and traces of iron
Mann Metals also accepts some mixed-metal items, such as e-waste, catalytic converters, auto radiators, and others. Contact us and we’ll be happy to tell you what we accept, and how much we pay.